Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Belize - December 24th, 2007


Belize - Day 2

Since the day before was so long my sleep was restful and I was quite refreshed when I did awake.

The bed I slept in was quite nice. I awoke around 8 AM went to the porch of the cabin to check out the view and take a few photos with my camcorder.

Breakfast was down the path towards the main lodge. Lisa, Rich, Talia and Will were already at a table. I ordered a breakfast too. The breakfast menu had a few selections and I choose a scrambled egg breakfast with fry jacks - a Belizian Fry Jacks.

The first half of the day we got to canoe on the Rio Grande river below Machaca Hill. We had a local Maya guide Agapito who would guide us on the river. To get to the canoes we took a small open air tram down to the river. Lunch was provided in a cooler that went in Agapito's canoe.

I've never canoed on a jungle river and the Rio Grande was a good first choice. The canoes we had were a very contempoary fiberglass construction making them light and easy to steer. Each boat came with one paddle so whoever was paddling had a little bit of tough go since you had to either paddle and steer at the end of the stroke or switch off every couple of strokes from right to left if you just wanted to have a power stroke and not steer.

Agapito was good at pointing out some of the flora by the banks of the river and even helped us spy out some of the wildlife too. We did get a chance to see some Menonite farmers who were at the halfway point of our out and back. I did wave to them as we approached but as we stayed in the area and turned back we didn't see them by the side of the river anymore; except for one man who was bathing in the Rio Grande.

For the second half of the day Rich stayed with the kids at Machaca Hill while Lisa and I went to Nim Li Punit to check out a small Maya ruin. It was a fourty minute drive from Machaca and the last 7 miles were unpaved but the small ruins were a nice site to see a from some vantage points the Maya Mountains could be seen in the distance.

Dinner was quite nice and we retired after our meals to our cabins for an early bedtime.

No comments:

Exploring ELK (Elastic) Stack for hack-a-thon

At my current gig, our group finally got to do hack-a-thon week and I joined a team project that tied together a few of the technologies I&#...