Sunday, January 06, 2008

Belize - Sunday, 23rd of December, 2007


Belize Trip - Day 1

I left for Belize at 1:45 AM from Denver International Airport (DIA) . Kary dropped me off around midnight and the flight left on time for Atlanta. Arrival at Atlanta was around 6:15 AM E.S.T. I was pretty bushed from the flight so I tried to get some rest by sleeping on the floor near the gate for the flight to Belize.

Six hours to wait for another flight is a long time and the carpeted floors with the hustle and bustle of an airport didn't allow for a lot of sleep. I wish airports would have some sort of nap rooms where a door can be closed for peace and quiet. Unfortunately, that's a pipe dream since I imagine that there are plenty of reasons not to have nap rooms for temporarily stranded travelers.

The flight to Belize was uneventful and I got into Belize International Airport at 3:20 PM. The heat and humidity were a welcome change from Colorado. I was happy to have my checked bag arrive with me and going through customs was uneventful; although the first line I got into to get my pasport stamped was for locals only.

Crystal Auto Rentals was an easy find at the airport since it's about 200 feet from the exit.

I finally left Ladyville around 4:30 PM on my way to Punta Gorda. I was hoping to arrive at Machaca Hill Lodge about 8:00 to 8:30 PM. The drive was quite nice and I took some rest stops for pictures. The final drive time was about 4 1/2 hours since I didn't arrive until a little after 9 PM.

Total distance using the Western Highway to Humingbird to the Sourthern Highway and finally Punta Gorda was ~203 miles.

Lisa has fortunately saved some dinner for me so I was grateful to sit down and have some food.

I was proabably in bed and sleeping by 10:30 PM. I slept well that night after being 20 hours in transit.

No comments:

Exploring ELK (Elastic) Stack for hack-a-thon

At my current gig, our group finally got to do hack-a-thon week and I joined a team project that tied together a few of the technologies I&#...